let go...

*Warning: this is a lengthy spill-it-all kind of post.*

I just want to expose my heart, and not worry about who will or won't read this or worry about their opinions for that matter. The new school year has started. My goals are proving to be very difficult again this year. I have set out to rely on God for patience and the positive energy needed to really touch my kiddos' hearts and get them excited about learning. Sadly, the negativity that surrounds me in my building and district along with the outrageous demands they continue to place on us have made it a struggle, even in week 2.

These past few years have been very trying for me. I took on a position that has left me stressed, anxious, and emotionally exhausted almost daily. Yes, teaching itself is a very difficult job (I was well aware when I signed up for the gig) but the district I chose to work for has really taken the heart out of teaching. I'm still battling doubts of teaching altogether, but I know I was given this passion for a reason. I know God has a plan for my skills and my love for children. 

The reality that He is placing in my heart and on my mind is that I am wasting precious moments, precious breaths; this one precious life on to-do lists, lesson plans, lesson plan preparation, and to sum it all up--- STRESS. I am once again reminded of Francis Chan's Crazy Love and the painful truth that I am basically saying God is not enough- that He is not big enough to provide for me and guide me through this job. A wise, beautiful woman once told me that God is the ultimate of all careers and professions. He is the ultimate teacher and everything I need to reach those children is in His hands. I just have to ask for the guidance and lay these worries at his feet. A fellow blogger posted a great printable that said something along the lines of, "I can do anything. I can't do everything." God is reminding me of this. I can only do so much.

I was always the girl who knew what she wanted. My friends always knew I would become a teacher. I run into acquaintances from high school and they never fail to say, "I always knew you would be a teacher." The problem isn't that I don't want to teach. (Although, as previously stated, the disheartening nature of my job has left me curious about my abilities in the field). The issue is that I am left wondering where I can best meet the needs of kids while also enjoying them, the art of teaching, and my life outside of work. I have tossed around the idea, for a year or so now, of possibly moving upward into secondary education. I have always had a passion for writing and English. This, of course, was ignited by an amazing teacher and mentor from high school. I just don't know. I don't know where He wants me. I am trying to listen and seek his direction for my life.

I'm learning that it is OK to be unsure... it is OK to admit that I am unhappy in my current position. There is no shame in possibly needing to venture outside of the elementary walls. I have always worried about judgment from others. I have always worried about letting everyone down or not measuring up. I can no longer live that way. The only expectations I should worry about living up to are God's.

I apologize for the lengthy post, if you made it down this far. Sometimes you just need to clear your mind and clear your heart in order to continue on (and in order to find rest). Prayers are welcome as I continue this journey. I do love my students, I just pray I can do them justice while fighting the demands of my district.

Here's to living this life to His glory, and remembering that all this stress won't have an effect on my eternity.

3 comments:

  1. Renee I know exactly how you feel!! I was right where you are last year. From the very start it was difficult and I struggled all year, but I put my trust in God and give him the glory for bringing me to a place this year and providing a job that I LOVE!!! I too thought about either changing grade levels, subjects, or quitting all together. I think if I had to stay in the same district I would have. I am so thankful to God that he did move, and provide another place for me to be that has me renewing my love for the profession. We still spend lots of time planning and collecting data but it's not the stress I had before. We have lots of the same requirements but they are joyful tasks now as I work with positive people who love what they do. God will provide for you if you just keep trusting in him, I will pray for you and if you ever want to talk more feel free to send me an email, again, I know right where you are!!! It will all work out in his time!

    Amy
    The Resource(ful) Room

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so grateful for your transparency and so blessed by your heart. Know that I am praying for you and always here to listen. Also remember, that the kids you have in your classroom are blessed by you, whether anyone realizes it or not. You are an amazing inspiration to me friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lord, this beautiful young lady is in love with you. She is thankful for the passion you've given her for teaching. But Lord, she is unsure where she will best be used by you. I ask that you guide her, and make it as clear as possible where you would have her be. She desires to be in your will, so please keep that amazingly comforting, protective hand on her as she bears this school year. Lord, bless her through these difficult times, make this year a blessing for her. I pray that satan will not have a chance to encourage her to slip in to anxious thinking, stressful guilt, distance from those who love her. I ask that you provide a peace like she has never experienced, and a confidence that can only come from you. Lord, I thank you so much for this beautiful friend of mine, she gives me so much life and has such a beautiful heart that seeks after you. I pray that you will make clear to me, any ways that I can be a blessing to my dear friend. Thank you for Renee Louise Gregg and the blessing she is in my life, Lord.

    ReplyDelete